- Written by Katie Tobias
So you may have read our article why 59 Reasons Why New Zealand is the Best Place on Earth (you can read it here). We received so much love from the article that we decided to create a similar celebration of Australia and all its beauty! Here at Nomads we are torn when deciding which country is the better travel destination – each has its own unique character and diverse landscape as you travel from place to place. To put it simply, no destination in the world compares to Australia or New Zealand. So while we continue to sit on the fence with this one, we will leave it up to you to decide which country is the ultimate paradise.
So here they are… 59 reasons why Australia is the best place on earth!
- It is home to the largest sand island in the world: Fraser Island
- Where else can you poo in a self made sand toilet whilst eyeing off a Dingo?
- Melbourne is the world’s most livable city
- The largest property in Australia (a cattle station of course) is larger than Belgium
- Where else can you wear a thong in public? (actually it would be more socially acceptable to wear two thongs)
- If you visited a new Australian beach every day it would take 27 years to see them all!
- The average Aussie drinks 96 liters of beer each year
- And Avocados are eaten with everything!
- Hyam’s Beach in NSW has the world’s whitest sand
Hyam’s Beach instagram.com/biancadelbao
- Tasmania has the world’s cleanest air
- Sydney’s IMAX theater is the largest cinema screen in the world
- Australia holds the Guinness World Record for the largest Toga party
- And has over 500 nationals parks
- There are 60 Wine regions in Australia
- Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsunday Islands is continuously voted as the most beautiful beach on the planet
- In Ningaloo Reef you can swim with Whale Sharks
- And did you know you can swim with Great White Sharks in Port Lincoln?
- And with the Crocodiles at Crocosaurus Cove in Darwin?
- And Sea Lions?
Swimming with Sea Lions instagram.com/adventurebaycharters
- Australia’s former Prime Minister Bob Hawke set a world record for sculling 2.5 pints of beer in 11 seconds!
- The Great Barrier Reef is the world’s largest living organism
- Most Australians are the most laid back and friendliest people in the world (head beyond the cities and you will know what we are talking about)!
- Australia is an extremely multicultural country and is home to the largest Greek population outside of Greece
- It is home to the world’s longest fence
- You can visit the world’s largest rock – Mt Augustus in Western Australia – yes Uluru is the second largest monolith in the world
- And a Pink Lake
Pink Lake, Western Australia instagram.com/sarahfewster
- It is home to some of the weirdest natural attractions in the world such as The Pinnacles
- And Devil’s Marbles…
- It loves it’s big things!
- The Australian Alps receive more annual snowfall than Switzerland
- Where else can you learn to throw a Boomerang?
- Australia is the only country in the world without an active volcano (but it does have a lot of animals that can kill you including the world’s most deadliest animal the Box Jellyfish).
- Australians tend to be a lot more attractive than the rest of the world (we might have made this one up)
- There are 19 UNESCO World Heritage sites in Australia
Lamington National Park instagram.com/mcguigan_visuals
- And holds the World Championships of Cockroach racing
- On a serious note… Melbourne is the sporting capital of the world with more top level sporting events than anywhere else in the world
- There are 8,222 islands
- The Aussie sense of humour is like nowhere else on the planet. Did you know that an Australian man once tried to sell New Zealand on Ebay?
- Although there a number of deadly spiders in Australia – there has not been a death from a spider bite since 1979
- It is home to one of the world’s most beautiful ocean drives
- Sydney is probably the sexiest city in the world
Sydney Harbour instagram.com/sydney
- And was voted this year as the world’s friendliest city
- The Stromatolites in WA are the world’s oldest living organism
- Where else in the world can you cuddle a Koala?
- Or get chased by a Kangaroo?
- Or eat a Kangaroo?
- The Whale migration along Australia’s East Coast is absolutely amazing!
- There are too many amazing snorkel and scuba diving spots to name
- And Waterfalls…
- And Rainforests…
- And Mountains…
- And breathtaking views
Royal National Park, NSW instagram.com/emmalucey
- And once again… the beaches!
- Brisbane’s inner city lagoon is the bomb
- Sydney has the best NYE fireworks in the world (see our Sydney NYE guide here)
- Aussie music is actually quite good. Did you know that the Peaky Blinders theme song is by Aussie Artist Nick Cave? Our favourite current Aussie rockers: Sticky Fingers, Tame Impala, Courtney Barnett, RUFUS, Hermitude, Kingswood, Violent Soho – check them out!
- It’s PARADISE!